TRAIL OF TEARS EXHIBIT
Working in conjunction with the National Parks Services, the Cherokee Heritage Center is proud to permanently house this exhibit which explores the forced removal of our ancestors from their indigenous territory to the “Indian Territory”, present day Oklahoma. The exhibit is staged in six galleries, each of which, through documentation and artifacts, concentrates on specific aspects of Cherokee history and culture.
- Pre-Removal: Cherokee life before the Trail of Tears
- Court Battles: Events and legal issues leading up to forced removal
- Prisoners With No Crime: Imprisoned in Stockades before the Trail
- Many Tribes, Many Trails: The USA’s forced removal of other indigenous tribes
- Removal: Geographical route of and events along the Trail of Tears
- Starting Over: Rebuilding our Nation from scratch: our ability to adapt, thrive and excel